Welcome!

Welcome! So glad you stopped by my little bit of blogdom. Here I share my hobbies of nail polish, nail art and glue-on nails.


Friday, April 15, 2011

Drugstore nail glue Pt2: Failure & Success at the Happiest Place On Earth

In Ought9, my family took a trip to Florida and the Happiest Place On Earth. I had been wearing glue on nails, because I wanted my hands to look nice in the pictures. Up until last week, I've been a chronic nail biter.

There have been only 4x in my life I've stopped biting my nails.
  • When I was graduating from high school (1 million years ago)
  • When I got married at 20
  • When I was pregnant with my first baby
  • During a long span of about 2-3 years during the late 90's.
Back to the Happiest Place On Earth...
Unfortunately, and through no fault of our own, we traveled to Florida in May of 2009,  during their most wicked rains ever. It rained EVERY SINGLE DAY for hours. And this was not a light drizzle and done. It was heavy, hard rain. We donned ponchos and slogged through but it was R O U G H.

So there I am, during the first day, standing in front of the Iconic Castle. My french manicure looking lovely in the pictures, but behind us, there are very dark clouds foreshadowing our soggy week to come.

I used brush on glue.  The nail glue did not hold up. By the third day, I was pulling off the nails because of all the water behind them. I was still learning about drugstore glue on nails, and wasn't really prepared for catastrophic nail failure.  I had a tube of the pink glue with me, but once the nails come off re-gluing looks really bad with the french tips. I had not brought any more nails with me. We didn't have a car, so I was stuck with ugly, chewed nails for the rest of the trip.

Fast forward to January 2011...

By then, I'd been wearing glue-on nails for quite awhile. I'd gotten into painting blank glue-on nails with polish. Nailene active square nails are the most comfortable for me. They have a flexible base that sits firmly on my flat nail beds. Knowing we were going back to the Happiest Place on Earth, I wanted to do some nail art to represent the cutest girl mouse in the World.


This time I was super prepared! I brought maximum strength glue, a package of Kiss nails that are pre-polished red, and 10 Broadway nails in Zebra print french tips because I wasn't sure the nails pictured would last the whole 8 days we would be without a car in Florida.

We had normal weather, well, except it was cold some days, but no torrential rains. These nails hung on all week! I did pop off one of the thumbs during check-in (but I always have trouble with thumbs staying put). I glued that back on after filing off the dried glue on my nail, and never had a problem with it again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...